Acclaimed documentary 'Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story' is finally set to get a release on DVD and Blu Ray, with the Soundtrack featuring previously unreleased tracks to be made available on CD, Digital, Vinyl and Exclusive Limited Edition Coloured Vinyl. The sets hits the racks on 8th June 2018.
Following a successful theatrical premiere and broadcast (on Sky Arts as part of their Sky Arts Rocks series) of “Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story” in 2017, Universal Music are pleased to announce the release of “Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story, The Soundtrack” on 8th June 2018. The Soundtrack accompanies the DVD and Blu-Ray release of “Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story” – available to buy with new exclusive content on the same day.
The Soundtrack will be the first officialcareer retrospective compilation for the guitar virtuoso. As well as key tracks from Mick Ronson’s solo records, the compilation includes material from his key collaborations with David Bowie, Elton John, Ian Hunter, Queen and Michael Chapman. The album also includes a previously unreleased cover version of ‘This Is For You’ by Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott and a piano tribute to Mick Ronson from David Bowie’s piano-man and band alumni Mike Garson (David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins). The soundtrack will be available on CD and Digital, heavy-weight 180-gram black Vinyl and exclusive limited edition coloured vinyland includes extensive essay & liner notes. Full track listing as below:
- QUEEN, IAN HUNTER, DAVID BOWIE, MICK RONSON, JOE ELLIOT & PHIL COLLEN - ALL THE YOUNG DUDES (LIVE) 3:44 Recorded live at The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness, 20 April 1992 at Wembley Stadium, London.
- MICHAEL CHAPMAN - SOULFUL LADY 4:10 Originally appeared on “Fully Qualified Survivor” (1970).
- ELTON JOHN - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER 8:56 Originally appeared on “Rare Masters”(1992).
- DAVID BOWIE - MOONAGE DAYDREAM 4:40 Originally appeared on “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” (1972).
- DAVID BOWIE - CRACKED ACTOR 3:02 Originally appeared on “Aladdin Sane” (1973).
- DAVID BOWIE – TIME 5:16 Originally appeared on “Aladdin Sane”(1973).
- IAN HUNTER - ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY 4:43 Originally appeared on “Ian Hunter” (1975)
- MICK RONSON - I’D GIVE ANYTHING TO SEE YOU 6:00 Originally appeared on “Just Like This”(1999).
- MICK RONSON - HARD LIFE 6:37 Originally appeared on“Just Like This” (1999).
- MICK RONSON - MIDNIGHT LOVE 3:22 Originally appeared on “Heaven and Hull”(1994).
- MICK RONSON - LIKE A ROLLING STONE 4:22 Originally appeared on “Heaven and Hull”(1994).
- JOE ELLIOTT – THIS IS FOR YOU 4:28 Previously unreleased.
- QUEEN, DAVID BOWIE, AND MICK RONSON – HEROES (LIVE) 4:25 Recorded live at The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness, 20 April 1992 at Wembley Stadium, London.
- MIKE GARSON – TRIBUTE TO MICK RONSON 5:28 Previously unreleased.
“Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story” producer/Director Jon Brewer (BB King: The Life of Riley, Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark, Jimi Hendrix: Guitar Hero, The Most Dangerous Band in The World) gained the unprecedented access and permission for use of materials relating to the life of rock hero MICK RONSON, who was largely commercially over-looked despite his direct contribution and pivotal involvement in countless iconic compositions of David Bowie and The Spiders from Mars.
Despite his production and guitar work with Lou Reed, Morrissey, Ian Hunterand Mott The Hoople, Bob Dylan, John Mellencampand many others, it is Mick Ronson’sdynamic support, contribution, and co-creation of the expansive and multi-faceted career of David Bowie andin fact that era of music, that this film exposes. With exclusive voice over contributions from David Bowieand exclusive contributions byRick Wakeman, Joe Elliott, Roger Taylor, Ian Hunter, Angie Bowieand many more, “Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story” is a tribute to an uncomplicated man who achieved the pinnacle of success in the music industry as well as the rarefied respect from his contemporaries for his production and guitar skills.
His humble beginnings (in the northern English city of Hull) underpinned the values and modest, unpretentious personality of Mick Ronson. Originally working with Hull City Council while he pursued his craft with consummate dedication, word of his talent reached David Bowie who grabbed at the chance to work with Mick, and from there rock history was made. “The Man Who Sold the World”, ‘Aladdin Sane’ “Hunky Dory”, “Jean Genie”, all were constructed with Mick Ronson on guitar. In 1974 he was voted #2 'Best Guitarist' in ‘Cream’ magazine (notably Eric Claptoncame in third).
Sadly, in 1993 Ronson passed away before receiving the recognition he so richly deserved before taking that final bow, as seen on film, at his last show. He had been making a solo album at the time, which was subsequently finished by his contemporaries. Emperor Mediahave achieved ultimate authenticity and access in chronicling the life and works of this man, an extraordinary talent who became a cornerstone of rock music and who stood ‘Beside Bowie’during one of the most memorable periods of his dazzling career.
Full list of film contributors - MIKE GARSON, MARY FINNEGAN, BOB HARRIS, JON BREWER, SUZI RONSON, ANGIE BOWIE, MICK RONSON, KEVIN CANN, DAVID STOPPS, MAGGI RONSON, TONY VISCONTI, DANA GILLESPIE, JOE ELLIOTT, LAURENCE MYERS, MICK ROCK, RICK WAKEMAN, CHERRY VANILLA, TONY ZANETTA, DAVID BOWIE, IAN HUNTER, LOU REED, EARL SLICK, LULU, GLEN MATLOCK, MARK NEVIN, ROGER TAYLOR
Praise for “Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story”
“This film pays homage to the astoundingly modest virtuoso, without whom several artists’ albums (including Lou Reed’s Transformer) would be much the poorer” – The Guardian
“Jon Brewer’s new documentary provides great insight into the relationship between David Bowie and his guitarist, Mick Ronson (left, with Bowie). At its heart, this is a celebration of Ronson, who also worked with Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp and Lou Reed…” The Daily Mail
““I didn’t really know what was going on, so I just stood on his left side so I could watch his hands.” And there, on David Bowie’s left side, stood Mick Ronson for 18 glorious months as Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars blazed a decidedly glamorous trail across the music scene. This exhaustive documentary from Jon Brewer explores Ronson’s contribution to Bowie’s music and career (clue: it was considerable)” – The TImes
Like this story? Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter for regular updates & more of the same.
'Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story' is available to order now on; CD & Digital, Vinyl, exclusive Limited Edition Coloured Vinyl, Blu-ray, and DVD.